Tuesday, January 23, 2007

getting started

I’ve arrived in my city and am getting settled in. I spent a few days in the capital city recovering from the trip and buying a few necessities (a hand phone for example- if you think people rely on them in the States, you haven’t seen anything!) After my visit there, I spent a couple days at the volunteer house. The house is really nice, so those of you who come to work with me will be very comfortable. There’s a real shower; it’s at Asian height though, so you have to lean back to get your hair wet, but it’s still nice and even has hot water!
I moved in with some national workers (believers on the team from this country but not from our area). There are six of us staying in a kind of town house type place called a ruko. I’m pretty sure I’m the only non-Asian in the neighborhood, so I stand out. I definitely got some stares standing on my porch talking on my hand phone. The bedroom I’m sharing is air conditioned, so that’s great.
You probably noticed that I said “hand phone” instead of “cell phone.” That struck me as odd since you hold pretty much all phones in your hand, but hey, when in Rome… They also abbreviate a lot of things here, so hand phone becomes HP, but not as Americans would pronounce it. It comes out ha-pay since that’s the way those letters sound in this alphabet.
More to come later. Forgive me if I don’t update very often - I can only be as consistent as the internet.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"The shower is at Asian height..."--hey, what's that supposed to mean? [smirk] I'm five-foot-ten. Of course, if you remember the shower in our master bedroom was built at "Eric Montross height" and Gwen tops out at five-two. (She can stand in the shower and not even get wet!)

Cute picture of you in local garb, which I'll have to show the kids, who still comment about you (and J) to Dad daily.

Our best to you, and your family.

alan

P.S. Did my parents leave you a copy of the aquarium picture? It really is quite nice (and a miracle that all of our kids are smiling!). We have it on a refrigerator magnet, so we "see you" every day! Let me know if you didn't get a copy of the picture.

9:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home