Some wisdom from Solomon
"Where there are no oxen, the manger is clean, but an abundance of crops comes by the strength of the ox."
No, I haven't lost my mind. There's a point, I promise. I was reading in Proverbs, and this verse really stood out to me. (It's in chapter 14.) When we were about 16 years old, my wonderful cousin Kimberly and I worked at a farm/ day camp. One of our jobs was to clean out stalls. I can say from experience that cleaning up after farm animals is not fun. It's sweaty and smelly and dusty and just generally gross. But it's necessary. Obviously, if there were no oxen, horses, cows, etc., the stalls wouldn't need to be mucked out. Without them though, the farm cannot operate, and nothing is gained. The point being that you have to work hard and get dirty if you want results. Sometimes we must do unpleasant things in order to gain the best things.P.S. That's actually a water buffalo in the picture...

1 Comments:
Years ago, my discipler commented to his wife about the mess in their house, directly complaining about the kids, and not so subtly implying that she wasn't doing her full job.
Her gentle reply was exactly this verse. Basically, she challenged her husband to decide whether he wanted kids with godly character, a clean house with kids of whatever random character Nature provided, or a very clean house with no kids. (Actually, the last one was merely a theoretical choice.)
My discipler got the point. And he made sure to share that story with me a few months ago--even though when it happened to him, it was decades ago.
This, then, is my excuse for the condition of my house [smirk]...
Fondly,
yucko/dad#2
Post a Comment
<< Home