Sunday, September 28, 2008

English as a second- or third or fourth- language


Three of my fellow teachers and I spent the last week interviewing candidates for a scholarship program which includes a six month English course with us. It was nice to have some say in who would be part of our next class and to meet our future students. Some had excellent English and probably don't even need our course. Some answered the question, "When and where were you born?" with "I want go to Australi." We're hoping to get the students in between!

One lesson I've learned as an English teacher here is that you have to give people the benefit of the doubt and be generous in forming your opinions of people. Some of the candidates who couldn't make a complete sentence in English already had a Master's degree- they just didn't do it in the English language. It's easy to assume people aren't very bright because they aren't articulate, but so often that isn't the case. Here, most people speak the local language and the national language; plus some also speak Arabic. If English is their fourth language and they aren't that great at it, who am I to think they're not so smart? English is the only language I speak well! If I had to survive solely on my abilities in this language, I'd be in trouble. Countless people have helped me out- locals, nationals, and expats alike.

I hope this lesson sticks with me when I get back to America. We're a country of immigrants. Many of us can go back not too many generations and find someone in the family tree who got off a boat and didn't speak English. People are continually immigrating to America, the land of opportunity, and a great number of them can't speak English. Does this mean they're stupid? No, it means they're still learning. So the next time the guy in front of you is having trouble understanding the cashier at the checkout, give him a break, maybe even (gasp!) help him out. You might be the first American to show him some kindness.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home