Wednesday, September 03, 2008

And how shall we fast?



The fasting month has just begun here, and it makes me wish the Bible said more about fasting. Jesus assumed His followers would fast (see Matt. 9), and we're told not to put on a show about fasting (see Matt. 6). But how long should we fast? What should we fast from? Should we say special fasting prayers or perform special fasting rituals? Jesus never said "Thou shalt fast like this:..." So now what? I'm surrounded by people with a very specific set of rules for fasting. During the day, you may not eat, drink, smoke, have sex, or get angry. You must say all the daily prayers. You must recite from the Holy Book.

It's sometimes hard to have a conversation about fasting with people who are so concerned with rules. Why don't Followers of Jesus have rules for fasting, especially since He assumed we'd do it? I think it's because it's not about rules. Fasting is an act of worship, of devotion, the overflow of a desire to seek God. If we had a list of rules for fasting, it would become a duty that is all about us. "See what I can do? I'm so spiritual." Or "Hey God, look what I'm doing. Now what I want from You is..." Suddenly there's no worship, no drawing near to God, only self-concerned attempts to get ahead in a religious game.

Instead, consider that fasting, so closely related to prayer, operates very much like prayer. Throughout Scripture, there are many recorded prayers. Jabez prayed, Hannah, David, Jesus Himself prayed, Stephen, Paul. The list goes on and on. How many different prayers are there in the Bible? Should we follow just one pattern? Should we try to pray them all? (not unless we want to call down fire on our enemies Old Testament style) Just as each person prays different prayers to God, I believe each can have a different fast with God.

So instead of trying to create a list of rules that makes sense to my local friends, I've decided to talk instead about endeavoring, FIGHTING, to be closer to God. After all, He is the point of it all anyway.

1 Comments:

Blogger Ashley said...

Thanks SO much for the insights on fasting, and recent updates! Lifting ya up!

2:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home